AFC Bournemouth 0-2 Watford

Andy Lewers, Digital Editor, Tales From.

Watford travelled down to Bournemouth for their first away game of the new season. The trip to the sunny south cost proved a memorable one for the 'Orns.

Before the game we caught up with Kelly Somers, who has written in the most recent volume of Tales from the Vicarage about what it felt like to support Watford but work for Bournemouth, at a time when the clubs were involved in a nerve-wracking title race. Click here to watch our Q&A with her.




Watford started brightly and Cleverley had a fierce shot at goal blocked, by former Watford defender Nathan Ake.

It was end-to-end stuff however and the hosts almost took the lead a minute later through Afobe, had it not been for a fantastic block by Britos on the goal line.

It was an open game with both sides advancing forward with every chance they got. The atmosphere matched the occasion as well, Watford fans in particular favouring a new song for Doucoure.

The best chance of the half came right at the end. Richarlison wiggled his way into the Bournemouth penalty area and pulled the ball back for Gray, but his shot on the turn sailed over the bar to keep the scores goalless heading into the break.


Bournemouth started the second half the better of the two teams and Cook forced Gomes into an early save with a header from close-range, but the Brazilian got down well to keep it out.

Ten minutes into the half Watford had come back into it and had the perfect opportunity to open the scoring. As Amrabat made his way down the right, he pulled the ball back to Chalobah, who was in plenty of space in the box. Instead of shooting however, Chalobah simply let the ball run to Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter. It later emerged that Arter had shouted "leave it!" to ensure Chalobah didn't shoot.

Chalobah was in the spotlight again soon after. Having pinched the ball off the last man he was through on goal, but sent his shot straight at Begovic.

It was beginning to feel like one of those days, but in the 73rd minute Watford made the breakthrough.

A cross from Gray on the right was met by Richarlison and his first effort was blocked by Ake, but Richarlison was the first to get up and prod in the loose ball to send the away fans wild.

They say you're most likely to concede straight after scoring and this looked to be the case here, as Bournemouth began to control possession as Watford sat back to protect their lead.

Watford rode out the storm however and with four minutes to go they sealed the win.

A cross was only cleared as far as Capoue, who volleyed it in from 25 yards.

With the Watford fans in high spirits, the referee blew his whistle to confirm Watford's first three points of the season.


What a fantastic afternoon this turned out to be. Watford were excellent from the off and not once did they let their tempo drop which is what pleased me most.

Four new signings (Femenia, Richarlison, Gray and Chalobah) were in the starting line up and didn't look out of place one bit. Femenia at right back especially already looking like one of the signings of the summer on a free transfer.

The travelling fans were in fine voice all afternoon and made a great noise as Silva's men did their bit on the pitch. This will be a day that will be remembered for years to come.

As it stands Watford currently sit third in the league. Europe anyone?

You 'Orns.