Everton 3-2 Watford

By Andy Lewers, Tales from the Vicarage Reporter

Watford suffered their third defeat on the bounce away at struggling Everton, despite having gone two goals up.






It took over 20 minutes for the first shot of the game to be registered. A scuffed effort from Rooney almost turned into an assist, when Baines latched onto the end of it but was denied by Gomes.

In a cagey first half Watford's best chance came after 40 minutes. As the 'Orns broke up the pitch Richarlison managed to take the ball round Pickford in the Everton goal, but his effort from a tight angle could only find the side netting.

Watford finished the half strongly, but it ended all square on the referee's whistle.


Barely a minute after the restart Watford took the lead. A quick break up field allowed Gray to pass to Richarlison. The Brazilian took the ball round Pickford and poked it into the net from close-range.

Gomes had to be on hand soon after to protect Watford's lead, pulling off a superb save to deny Sigurdsson after a neat Everton move. It came at a price though, as Gomes was injured in the mele that followed and after a lengthy stoppage had to make way for Karenzis, who came on for his debut.

With just over an hour on the clock Watford doubled their lead. A corner from the right was met by the head of Kabasele and Pickford could do nothing as the net rippled.

With Watford cruising the game should have been put to bed.

We all know it's never that simple though and Everton were able to pull a goal back three minutes later. Some mis-communication between Holebas and Karenzis meant Niasse had the simple task of tapping into an empty net.

And just seven minutes after that the comeback was complete. A corner from the right was nodded straight into the Watford net by Calvert-Lewin and having looked so comfortable at two goals up, Watford were now firmly on the back foot.

As the 90 minutes drew to a close there would be a final twist in the tale. Holebas and Lennon went toe-to-toe with one another and unfortunately the Watford defender slipped and brought down the Everton midfielder. Penalty to Everton in the 89th minute.

Baines and stepped up and although Karenzis went the right way, the penalty was too good and Everton had taken the lead.

There was however 12 minutes of added time to play and Watford were given the perfect opportunity to level the scores with 100 minutes on the clock.

As Richarlison took the ball round Pickford to line up a shot he was brought down and Watford were awarded a penalty. With no Deeney on the pitch Cleverley stepped up to take it but dragged his effort wide to the despair of the travelling Watford fans.

That was to be the last bit of drama in an action-packed second half.


Needless to say this was a very disappointing result having been two goals up. Watford had Everton in the palm of their hands but allowed them back into the game which gave the home fans some belief after the first goal.

The international break has come at a good time with Watford having lost their last three games and some crucial players on the way back from injury.

It's important now that we get a result against West Ham in two weeks time.

You 'Orns.