Manchester City 3-1 Watford

By Andy Lewers, Tales from the Vicarage Reporter.

2018 began with another defeat on the road for the Hornets, as they travelled to league leaders Manchester City.


Every travelling 'Orn received a £10 food and drink voucher from the club, as a thank for making the journey after the fixture was rearranged.




The game couldn't have started any worse for the Hornets. After just 40 seconds City were behind the defence and Sterling had a tap in from two yards out.

John Stones blazed a shot over the bar in a frantic opening before City got their second after just 13 minutes.

A cross from the right had to be dealt with, as Aguero was lurking at the back post. Unfortunately for Kabasele his attempt at a clearance ended up in the Watford net.

De Bruyne almost made it 3-0 after 20 minutes, but thankfully his free kick rattled off the crossbar. 

After a nervy start Watford grew into the game. Gray was played through on goal and his effort from a tight angle looked to be heading in, had it not been for a strong hand from Ederson.

Watford were able to keep the score at 2-0 until the break.


Aguero should have done better with a free header shortly after the restart, but his effort went well wide of the goal.

City did eventually get their third of the evening. A low cross from De Bruyne wasn't held by Gomes and Aguero pounced to tap in the rebound.

After that City took their foot off the gas. This allowed Watford the chance to come back into the game.

With just under ten minutes to go there was a slight glimmer of hope, as Gray tapped in a Carrillo cross, but the damage had already been done.

With the game drawing to a close Watford were denied a penalty as Pereyra was brought down in the box. Had the penalty been converted though there would have been too little time left for the 'Orns to complete an unlikely comeback.


No disgrace in this result or performance. Watford lost the game in the opening minutes and gave themselves too much to do.

Despite the three goal deficit Watford battled back and showed a bit of fighting spirit in the final stages.

This was always going to be a difficult match to get anything out of, but the travelling Hornets left proud of their team.

Now onto Saturday and time to start our FA Cup run.

You 'Orns.