Newcastle United 0-3 Watford

By Andy Lewers, Tales from the Vicarage Reporter

Despite being the longest away trip of the season, Watford secured a comfortable victory on Tyneside to give them back-to-back wins before heading into a couple of tricky fixtures.





For the first time this season Silva named an unchanged side and it was a cagey opening ten minutes.

The home side created the first opportunity and although half of St James' Park thought Ritchie's shot had gone in, Watford fans were relieved to see it hit the side netting.

Shortly after, Richarlison broke through the Newcastle defence, but his effort from a tight angle was tipped round the post by Elliot. 

It didn't take long though before Watford had the advantage. Despite having a mask on his face after Andy Carroll's robust challenge last week, Zeegelaar had the vision to pull the ball back to Hughes on the edge of the area. The midfielder ran onto it and curled it perfectly into the bottom corner to make it two goals in two games.

Watford should have doubled their lead shortly after. Another cross from Zeegelaar wasn't dealt with and Doucoure was able to run onto it unmarked, however he couldn't divert his effort goalwards.

Although Watford had the upper hand, Newcastle began to grow into the game and started to assert some pressure on the Watford goal. The back three of Kabasele, Britos and Mariappa stood firm though and restricted the Magpies superbly.

The game was all but over shortly before the half time whistle. Zeegelaar again causing problems down Watford's left as his cross was diverted into his own net by Yedlin, to give Watford a crucial two goal lead heading into the break.


Gray should have sealed the points three minutes into the second half. As he raced towards goal unchallenged, the angle at which he was running was more suited for a finish with his right foot, however he elected to go with his left and scuffed his shot wide.

Richarlison had been kept quiet for the majority of the game, however on 63 minutes he was given all the space he needed to run at the Newcastle defence and whip in a delicious cross. Gray met the ball at the back post and slid in to send the Hornets three goals up.

With the points now sealed it was important to keep the clean sheet and Gomes had to be on hand to keep out Joselu a few minutes later.

Watford could and should have added more to their goal tally, but the Hornets had to make do with three as the referee brought an end to proceedings.


This was a confident display by the Hornets and although they weren't at their best for the full 90 minutes, they never really gave Newcastle an opportunity to get back into the game.

It certainly made all the miles travelled and the 14 flights of stairs up to the away end a worthwhile journey.

The win sets us up nicely for the next two fixtures against Manchester United and Spurs. With a comfortable five point gap between us in 8th and Brighton in 9th, we're looking up and not down this season.

Who knows where we could end up? Save your annual leave just in case.

You 'Orns.