Watford 2-1 Leicester City

By Andy Lewers, Tales from the Vicarage Reporter.

After four defeats on the bounce, Watford returned to winning ways on a tense Boxing Day afternoon at The Vic.




Leicester started the brighter as the 'Orns found their feet in the opening stages. The Foxes carved out the first chance of the game as Okazaki rose highest to head the ball towards goal, but the fingertips of Gomes tipped it over the bar.

Leicester should have been ahead shortly before the half hour mark. Jamie Vardy was played through on goal, but his dinked effort could only find the side netting.

The visitors had their deserved lead however after 37 minutes. As Janmaat allowed Albrighton to cross the ball into the box, Mahrez was in acres of space at the back post to nod the ball past Gomes.

Moments later however the Hornets should have been level. Richarlison was played through on goal and took the ball round Schmeichel, but the Brazilian took the ball too wide and could only find the side netting with his effort.

Shortly before half time Pereyra hobbled off the pitch injured to make way for Stefano Okaka.

A minute later and Watford were level. As Richarlison attempted an audacious overhead kick, the ball rebounded off a defender and into the path of Wague, who couldn't miss from two yards out to level the scores.

Richarlison came agonisingly close to giving the 'Orns the lead heading into the break, but his effort smashed off the post.


It was a cagey start to the second half, but Watford managed to take the upper hand with just over 20 minutes remaining.

A free kick into the box from the right found Doucoure at the back post. The midfielder tried to play the ball back across the box and it was inadvertently turned into his own net by Leicester keeper Schmeichel, though Watford did need the help of goal line technology to award the goal.

Cleverley had a chance to seal the points in the 82nd minute. After he stole the ball off Chilwell he was through on goal, but dragged his effort wide.

Leicester pressed in the final stages as the nerves began to grow around the ground. 

Whenever Watford need a hero, the player they can usually rely on is Heurelho Gomes. This game was no exception as he made a world-class save to keep out Morgan from close range, before getting down low to stop an Ulloa header from sneaking into the corner.

There was a deafening roar round the ground when the referee blew his whistle to end the game.


After four fairly turgid performances that lacked the fighting spirit we saw at the start of the season this was a welcome return to winning ways.

A performance where we rode our luck but dug in and ground out the result we desperately needed.

Some may say, we showed some serious cojones.

Three points on Boxing Day makes for a very Merry Christmas.

You 'Orns.