Watford 2-4 Manchester United

By Andy Lewers, Tales from the Vicarage Reporter

Watford failed to make it three consecutive wins as Manchester United claimed all three points in an entertaining game at Vicarage Road.




Despite some early pressure from the visitors, Watford grew into the game and were the better side in the opening exchanges. Though despite putting pressure on the United defence Watford couldn't create any clear goal scoring opportunities. 

United took the lead against the run of play after 19 minutes. A snapshot from the edge of the area by ex-'Orn Ashley Young beat Gomes down low and hammered the back of the net.

With Watford rattled the visitors took full advantage and doubled their lead minutes later. A second of the night for Young as he curled in a free kick from 25 yards, leaving Gomes with no chance as the keeper watched on helplessly as the ball flew into the top corner.

Things were to get worse for Watford before the break. A mistimed tackle on the edge of the Hornets' penalty area allowed Martial the space to run into the box and slide a shot past Gomes to make it 3-0.

With Watford hanging on by the skin of their teeth, it was thanks to Gomes that the scoreline wasn't worse before heading into the break. First a save from Lukaku before Lingard thought he'd scored on the rebound, only for Gomes to tip his effort over the bar from close-range.


Watford started the second half with a point to prove. The additions of Carillo, Pereyra and Deeney made a huge difference coming off the bench midway through the half, as Watford tried to start an unlikely comeback.

Watford had a glimmer of hope with just over ten minutes remaining. Pereyra danced his way into the United box and was hacked down by Rojo, penalty to the 'Orns. Up stepped Deeney and just like last season he got the better of De Gea.

The home side now had the momentum and the game had turned on its head with six minutes remaining. A cross into the box was prodded into the net by Doucoure and now it was game on. Could Watford do the impossible and snatch a point from the jaws of defeat?

Sadly, it wasn't to be. As United broke up the pitch Cleverley should have hauled Lingard down to the ground and taken a yellow card for the team. The United midfielder continued his wiggling run past the Watford defence and calmly slotted a shot under Gomes and into the net to seal the points.


An entertaining game at Vicarage Road was ultimately won by the better side. Watford made too many mistakes and were punished by some clinical finishing.

The pleasing thing was that the 'Orns didn't roll over, but instead made a fist of it and did well to bring the game back to 2-3. Another night and it could have been a different story.

A disappointing result but a pleasing performance in the second half. We move on to Spurs and hopefully get something from that game.

You 'Orns.