Watford 3-3 Liverpool

By Andy Lewers, Digital Editor, Tales From

Watford's Premier League campaign kicked off in dramatic fashion in a six goal thriller at Vicarage Road.

Before the game we met up with Mike Walters, to hear about his chapters in Tales from the Vicarage.

Marco Silva and his Watford team were given a heroes welcome as they exited the coach.



Nathaniel Chalobah was the only new signing to make the starting line up, with Richarlison, Gray and Femenia on the bench.



The atmosphere was brewing nicely at an optimistic Vicarage Road as the teams walked out and Watford kicked off the new season.

Watford started the better and Pereyra came close to opening the scoring after seven minutes, but his shot was deflected wide.

A minute later however the 'Orns got the opener. Okaka was left unmarked from a corner and managed to squeeze a header in past Mignolet.

The visitors came back into the game however and forced an equaliser shortly before the half hour mark. Some slick passing between Can and Mane gave the latter the space in the box to fire into the top corner.

The scores didn't remain level for long though. Just two minutes later Doucoure was on hand to take advantage of some fairly suspect defending to give Watford the lead before half time.

Salah should have equalised when he was played through on goal, thankfully though he toe-poked his effort over the bar.


If the first half wasn't exciting enough, the second half certainly lived up to expectations.

On 54 minutes Liverpool were awarded a penalty, after Gomes brought down Salah in the area. Firmino was on hand to do the honours and level the scores.

And in a barmy three minute spell Liverpool took the lead. Firmino took advantage of Gomes being found in no-man's-land and lofted the ball over him to allow Salah to tap into an empty net.

Watford rode their luck as Liverpool continued to apply the pressure. Gomes had to be on hand to keep out Moreno before Matip headed against the bar.

As the game drew to a close Watford's chances of snatching a point looked less and less likely. In the 93rd minute however we got just what we were after. A corner from Holebas was collected by Richarlison who smashed the ball at Mignolet from close range. The ball ricocheted off the bar and Britos was on hand to nod the ball over the line and confirm Watford's opening point of the season.


There's nothing quite like a last minute goal. After everything we had to endure last season this was just what we needed.

Watford weren't perfect - we never are - but they showed a fighting spirit and kept going until the end and got the point their performance warranted.

The only negatives of the day were the injuries sustained to Janmaat and Pereyra. Hopefully they aren't too serious.

It's only the first game of the season, but if every game is going to be a roller coaster of emotions like this then I'm not going to disembark anytime soon.

You 'Orns.